I haven't done a recipe post in a while, and this is one of my favourites! My mom used to make this all the time when I was younger. She got it from a Milk calendar back in the day... Anyway, I use her recipe, but I've adapted it a bit to fit mine and my boyfriend's tastes. See, she likes it cheesy, and we like it tomato-ey :)
What you need:
2 tbsp. of Butter (we use margarine)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups of cheese (shredded). Old is recommended but we use medium.
4-5 Italian sausages cooked, sliced
2 tbsp. tomato paste (we put more, we like the tomato flavour)
1 tbsp. chopped parsley (we never put this in, we don't have parsley...)
Cooked Pasta (not sure how much, we eyeball it... but the sauce will usually serve 4-5). We have always used shell pasta.
Sometimes we reduce the milk amount to 1 1/2 cups or increase the cheese amount to 2 cups, to make the sauce a little thicker. There's lots of room to play :)
There are two ways to cook the recipe. We have always used the microwave directions because they are a little faster, and allow you to do other things without watching the food. But I will give you the stove-top recipe as well. You'll probably need a decent sized sauce-pan...
1. Combine butter and onion in microwave safe bowl. Cover with vented plastic-wrap and cook on high for 2 - 3 minutes until onion is tender.
2. Blend in flour, and stir milk gradually.
3. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute or so to ensure the entire mixture thickens. Once the mixture boils or thickens, it's ready for the cheese!
4. Add cheese and stir until melted. Stir in tomato paste and parsley. Sometimes the sauce cools down, and you may have to microwave for another few minutes to warm it up. Just don't let it boil.
5. Add sliced, cooked sausages to the mixture. Stir and serve over cooked pasta!
1. Melt butter in medium sauce-pan; sauté onion until tender.
2. Blend in flour and gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove heat.
3. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir in cooked, sliced sausage, tomato paste and parsley. Reheat if necessary, but be careful not to boil it.
4. Serve over hot cooked pasta.