In the past, I had never been a successful gym-er. Especially during my university years. There was a time when I'd gone more than a year without a workout... Not really a proud moment for my health.
So about a year ago, I made the decision to sign up for the gym and work it into my routine. Today I can say that I've been successful. Since last January, I've made it between 3 and 4 times every week. I've taken breaks when necessary (like when I got a sinus infection, when I strained my hip flexor, and during the really busy times), but in general, I've kept it up.
Side note: wow I take a lot of gym instagrams...
It's always hard to fit work-outs into life, and I know many people struggle with making it a habit. Here are some of the things I've done/tips I have if you've made it a resolution and are losing momentum:
1. Follow your hair-wash schedule. This used to be my biggest excuse NOT to go... But now, I wash my hair every 2nd day, and I make it a rule that I can't wash it without making it dirty first.
2. Stay entertained. Luckily, my gym has TVs set up so I'm easily distracted. I make sure to bring my phone to play my favourite "pump-up" music super loud. If all else fails, bring a magazine to read. Distractions make the time pass faster and everything feels less painful. Seriously.
3. Learn how to use the machines/accessories available to you. Test them all to find out what you like. The gym sucks when you hate what you're doing. You can find a routine that you enjoy if you try different things.
4. Bring a friend. That way you force each other to go. No excuses. I've also heard that some people put $1 in a jar for every time they go to the gym. After a number of times, they reward themselves with the money they've saved.
5. Think about the rewards. The amazing feeling afterwards, the health benefits and not to mention the physical changes. It's all worth it.
I'm so much happier since making this change in my life. If you've made gymming a part of your New Years resolution and you're hitting "the wall", don't give up. It's about learning what works for you :)
Now, to get this I need a few things like money, an actual house, a good architect... but most of all, books.
Over the last year I've focused on reading for fun. Before that it was textbooks upon textbooks, and I never wanted to spend more time reading because my eyes hurt from studying. Yes, that is my story and I'm sticking to it. But now I have pretty much all the time in the world to read books that I actually like.
So here I am, asking all of my wonderful readers, do you have any book recommendations? I'm not picky and I like to have an open mind when it comes to reading, so any suggestions are much appreciated. I have list ready to write them all down, I promise!
They were an unexpected gift from Marianna, owner of the Etsy shop Castellammare designs. I mentioned how much I absolutely LOVED her rose gold pieces, and she sent me my favourite earrings in the collection as a Christmas gift.
Aren't they beautiful? I wore them on New Years Eve with my outfit (that you will see in a post coming very soon). I love how delicate and feminine they are. The hammered effect is my favourite.
Her spring preview collection is gorgeous too! If you're looking to spruce up your jewellery wardrobe, I would suggest browsing her collections - you may find just the piece you're looking for.
Also note that Sarah over at Coming Unstitched is having a giveaway where you can help design a piece for Castellammare Designs! If design is your thing, check it out!
Note: Earrings were gifted c/o Castellammare designs. I featured them in this post because, frankly, I am in love with them. And her shop. All opinions expressed here are my own.
If you follow me on Pinterest, or in case you've started to notice here, I love reading little inspirational notes. A while back, I read a blog that featured Amanda Catherine Designs, a little Etsy shop that features fun and affordable prints. Since then, I've fallen in love with the shop and prints.
Here are a few of my favourites:
I just want to buy all of them... All.Of.Them.
Note that this was not a sponsored post - just felt like sharing an awesome find with those who might also find it awesome. :)